Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Alaska Birding Adventures Continued...

I haven't exactly been racking up the numbers in my 2016 bird count. In fact, I am getting 1 or two new birds a week at best. Once spring hits and the migratory birds return it will be crazy but for now, it's slow going.

Since I posted last I have been all over the place. I went up Campbell Airstrip Drive as it transitions to Basher Road earlier this week in search of Ptarmigan and Snowy Owl which

had been reported. I found neither, but did get to shoot some Golden-crowned Kinglet's and a Brown Creeper. I also went urban, hitting a residential area that had reports of a Red-winged Blackbird. I didn't see the Blackbird but there were plenty of other birds to shoot, including European Starlings, Redpoll's, Raven, and both species of Chickadees that are common in this area. Shooting with a camera is always a better idea than shooting anything else in urban areas.

Today, I ventured to my old faithful stomping grounds at Spenard Crossing. There have been several reports over the past week or so of Red Crossbills at Valley of the Moon Park and I wanted to see if they might be there. There was also a White-crowned Sparrow reported at Spenard Crossing which is an odd species to be seen this time of year. I did not see the Sparrow but I did see the Crossbills. Very cool little bird. Smaller than I thought they would be. There was a bunch of females and what looked like a first year male vocalizing and stuffing their bills with seeds. What a great find!

Last weekend I watched Bohemian Waxwings eating crabapples in my cul-de-sac, when suddenly the flock took off. I saw a slightly larger bird dive right into the midst of them and take off with a Waxwing in it's clutches. I didn't get a good look because, I didn't have my binoculars handy (broke my own rule). I thought initially it might have been a Merlin since it was so small, in fact it wasn't much bigger than the Waxwings. I was later able to find it nearby under a large Spruce tree eating what was left of the Waxwing and correctly ID it as a Sharp-shinned Hawk which is the smallest of the Accipiters.

I've got a lead on a Three-toed Woodpecker I will follow up on this week and also a Northern Shrike. I hope both leads yield results!

We're getting more and more light these days, which means more time for birding! So get out there, and as always, keep your eyes to the trees and your binoculars handy (seriously, you never know when you're going to see something amazing!).







No comments:

Post a Comment